Cream cheese is a soft, mild-tasting fresh cheese made from milk and cream. Think cream cheese and one of these two things that come to our mind – bagel with cream cheese or Philadelphia cream cheese. Interestingly the first cream cheese was made in 1872 in New York by an American dairyman William Lawrence.
While commercial ones have added stabilizers and are double cream plus whole milk we use only 25% cream with our whole milk. So it’s quite skinny for a cream cheese but with all the silky soft goodness.
8 ways to use Cream cheese:
- Use it in a cheesecake – a layer of biscuit, whip the cream cheese with sugar, eggs and a bit of vanilla essence and bake it for a NY style cheesecake or cold set without the egg and top with Nutella, fruits or berry compote for a yummy dessert.
- Frost a carrot cake or red velvet cake
- Spice it up with paprika, garlic, olive oil and any other seasoning and use it as a spread over bread or even in a wrap with some crisp lettuce and veggies / meat.
- You could also mix it up with veggies and pasta for an au-gratin style bake.
- Bake it into cakes and soufflés.
- Try it while making ice cream.
- Thicken your sauces / gravies.
- Use as a topping for pizza.
Leave a comment