"This stunningly delicious dish is a twist on the classic Eggplant Parm. Here in Chennai, it can be hard to find quality, affordable Parmesan that not only hits the tasting notes but also the depth, texture, and composition. So what do you do when you can't afford imported Parmesan? You turn to the pastures!
Using the gorgeously creamy Pecorino Fresco by Käse, as well as some Käse Mozzarella (for that perfect char and cheese pull), I made this exquisite recipe - which dare I say is better than a "normal" Eggplant Parm. Nothing better than fresh and local ingredients!"
- 1 - 2 medium Eggplants
- AP Flour (Maida) for dusting
- Sunflower oil for shallow frying
- 2 cans peeled Tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons salted Butter
- 5 cloves Garlic
- Chilli flakes, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup Käse Pecorino Fresco cheese, grated fine
- 1/2 cup Käse Mozzarella cheese, grated large
Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 175°C.
- Combine sauce ingredients in an oven safe pot, cook for 40 minutes.
- Slice eggplant into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick.
- Dust eggplant in flour and shallow fry in sunflower oil, place on a tissue lined plate and set aside.
- Remove sauce from oven and mash with a potato masher, mash less for a chunkier sauce.
- In an oven safe dish, spread a layer of sauce.
- Now, layer eggplant slices, sauce, both cheeses, a crack of pepper and continue doing so until you reach about ½ inch from the rim of the dish.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C.
- Remove foil and turn oven on to broil, cook for another 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve hot.