Pastoral Cheese Tasting
Where there is good Milk, there is Käse! Our constant search for ethically sourced clean milk led us to cross paths with Centre for Pastoralism, India (CfP). Milk is central to the livelihoods of Pastoral households and Pastoralists integration into market dynamics is the need of the hour. With indigenous milk surpluses we are presented with a unique opportunity to enhance Pastoral livelihoods via Artisanal Cheese Making.
Since December 2021, Käse has partnered with CfP to train the Pastoral community in Cheese Making and set up production of Goat and Sheep Milk Cheeses in Saurashtra and Camel cheese in Rajasthan. The end result? A delicious range of terroir inspired cheese where the flavour of the cheese is impacted by the livestock and location of where the milk is procured.
About the Event
Since our Pastoral Cheese collection is made locally in rural Gujarat, we thought the best way to introduce this new collection is through a unique tasting session of the Pastoral Cheese paired with traditional Gujarati condiments!
Our Co-Founder, Namrata Sundaresan, will take you on a journey into the fascinating world of Pastoral Cheese. Get ready to discover the nuances of terroir inspired Cheese made from milk of indigenous breeds of Sheep and Goat found in Surendra Nagar, Gujarat.
Session 1: Introduction to Pastoral Cheese (30 minutes)
- Discover the significance of the Pastoral life, Milk sourcing and what makes Pastoral milk so unique.
- Get a peek into the lives and traditions of Pastoralists, custodians of India’s remarkable animal diversity and significant contributors to our dairy and meat markets.
- Meet the Cheesemakers, Arpan & Bhimsi, from the Pastoral (Maldhari) community and their fascinating foray into Artisanal Cheese making.
- Get to know the Pastoral Cheese varieties we make and what makes it so special.
Session 2: Cheese Tasting & Pairing (60 minutes)
- Namrata will guide you through an elaborate tasting platter of the Pastoral cheese made from Goat and Sheep milk paired beautifully with Gujarati condiments and Farsan.
- For the condiments, we are partnering with a beloved Chennai brand Parul’s Magic, founded by Parul Bhatt who is known for her authentic, traditional homemade Gujarati pickles and Masalas. All her products are handmade using heirloom recipes passed down through generations and use only fresh local produce and ingredients.
- Apart from satiating your cheese cravings and feeding your inner Gujju, you will also get a chance to review the cheese as you taste and then take home a comprehensive cheese pairing guide!
When it's offered?
Saturday July 16th, 2022 | 4.30 pm to 6 pm
Where is the event?
Käse, 6, Tiger Varadachari 1st Cross Street, Kalakshetra Colony, Besant Nagar, Chennai 600090
There will be up to 25 people in the group.